Satisfy your craving for a rich, moist chocolate cake with this luxurious chocolate truffle cake. The layers were filled and frosted with chocolate ganache. The cake border was made with ganache frosting piped into shells. And for a more dramatic look, vanilla butter icing was used to pipe the inscription and the bottom border. This cake was a sure hit at a dinner party held for one of the guests' anniversary celebration.
Recipe taken from tasteofhome.com. I omitted the filling and used ganache to layer and frost the cake.
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup butter, cubed
8 ounces semisweet chocolate (I used chocolate buttons. If you are using chocolate bar, be sure to chop it in small pieces before using)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 ounces semisweet chocolate
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Place milk, butter and chocolate in a large saucepan. Cook over low heat until just melted. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla.. Stir in chocolate mixture until smooth.Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.Gradually add the dry mixture to the chocolate mixture. Mix until well blended.
3. Pour the batter into a three greased and floured 9- in round pan. Bake in a 325 F oven for 25-30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Cool the cake for 10 minutes, remove from the pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. To make ganache, place the chocolate in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour into the chocolate, leave for a couple minutes and whisk until smooth. Chill until it reaches spreading consistency.
6. Decorate the cake as desired.